Sunday, December 3 is the first Sunday of Advent. Within the Christian Community, we strive to not land at Christmas accidentally or in a frazzled state of mind. Instead, we seek to be intentional in the practice of waiting, living in the anticipation of the coming of Christ. We desire to help all who are a part of the HCN community be intentional this Advent season. Could I challenge you to set some time aside to plan your Advent season so that it doesn’t rush by, so that you don’t miss out on what’s important, so that you grow in your faith like never before during this season? Here are first steps you can take:
– Participate in the daily Advent devotional readings — books are available in each lobby, labeled according to each specific group.
– Attend the Wednesday night Advent small groups — women will begin in room 225 and men will begin in room 226 at 6:30. Supper is served from 5:00-6:15 to help you get your family here and fed.
– Each Sunday night in December at 5:00 is a special Advent service. Details for each service are included in each week’s bulletin. These are all family friendly and are great ways to take a break from the busyness of the season and connect with your faith community.
– Each Sunday morning will include the lighting of the Advent candle and special pieces are planned each week for worship to help us as we wait and worship together.
– Lots of missional opportunities are available for you and your family to serve others during this season. The weekly publications have details for lots of ways to give. Choose what you are most passionate about and give to that.
If you were with us for our Thanksgiving Sunday service, you heard an 18 year old talk about his decision to be more intentional in his faith. If we will take the steps to be intentional, God will help us. I hope you will join me in taking intentional steps this season.